Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oh No...

After a long day there is nothing like the feeling of closing down shop.


I close all the blinds, make sure all the doors are locked and turn out all the lights. Then I head off to attempt to snuggle with my hubby... although ultimately I get swallowed up by the sleep monster before my head hits the pillow.
Last night I was basking in the joy that is my nightly routine when my world was shattered. One moment I am blistfully skipping along (gloating at the fact that I survived another crazy chaotic day and still could skip) flipping off lights and congratulating myself on the fact that it was only 9:30 and we were already heading for bed. I might even be able to stay awake tonight. What a wonderful night this would be. What great possibilities awaited me? Snuggling with my hubby. Maybe watch a little tv or read a little.
As I was walking through the kitchen I looked up and froze. There was a half full water bottle teetering on the edge of the counter. It should be still right? Water bottles don't move autonomously. But it was vibrating. You know that scene on Jurassic Park where they are sitting in the broken down car conveniently positioned right in front of the T-Rex cage conveniently sans-electric fence sustaining electricity? They look down at the glass of water and it starts vibrating and a perfect little ripple appears in said water producing a tidal wave of terror-filled anxiety in the occupants of the car?
Times that by a million.
They were actors on a set, they new that ripple was produced by a guitar string (actual trivia) underneath the car, and that the T-Rex coming to rip them to shreds was a the mercy of their technical producers who (hopefully) had no desire to expose them to such a fate. There were no producers on my "set". I was all by myself in my kitchen. When a water bottle vibrates all by itself, it cannot mean something good is in your forcast.
As it would turn out, what was in my forcast was worse than I could have ever imagined.
There must be a minor earthquake.... I braced myself for a moment, looked around and realized nothing else, including myself, was moving. Then it must be worse... I turned slowly (they always do it slowly in the movies) to search for the T-Rex that must be in pursuit of the "chocolate filled" yummyness that was my body... nothing.
I looked back at the terror-inducing water bottle. It had ceased movement. Hmmm... that's weird. Oh well, off to bed and I started to walk off...
That stupid bottle started vibrating again.. gosh dang it, it was worse than an earthquake, or a bloodthirsty T-Rex that had caused the ripple....
IT WAS ME. My walking had caused the floor to shake and thus caused the water bottle to vibrate in a previously "pounding dinosaur footstep" induced way.
So much for snuggling.
Anyone else had a wake up call lately?

2 comments:

Meili said...

Ha ha! Awesome.

Yes, I had a wakeup call yesterday when I bent to pick something up. I grunted, spread my legs a little further to reach the floor, and when I found myself right side up again, Tim was looking and laughing. At me, not with me.

Quela said...

Possibilities?? Snuggling? Watching TV? Reading?! Come on, we all know what you were really thinking.