Monday, August 4, 2008

Who's THAT kids mom...?!

...when I have kids... they'll NEVER behave like that!

That's what I told myself before I was a mommy. I would sit in sacrament meeting discusted with all the future hoodlums that were jumping on the pews, fighting with their siblings and turning the lights on and off. When I had kids they would be perfect. They would sit quietly on the pew with their arms folded, reading their Book of Mormon Stories quiet book and every once in a while the would lay their precious little heads against me and REVERENTLY whisper, "Mommy, I love you."

HAHAHAHAHA....

little did I know...

Don't get me wrong, my kids do pretty well for a 3 year old and 18 month old. I haven't had to chase them up on the stand... yet. BUT everyone in my ward knows what I'M wearing each week because inevitably all eyes are on me as I am dragging one of my little cherubs out because the reverent, reflective time that they are passing the sacrament is just such a cherry opportunity to make a public service announcement that SOMEONE has to go poop. Nice. It's alright, I don't mind the snickers... I'm right there with everyone else snickering at the little girl that decides to show everyone her Pony panties during the primary program!

I will admit that I am kind of a strict mom, and sometimes I think I forget how young my kids are and what their capabilities are. Also, I guess I'm worrying too much about what those other couples that haven't been blessed with the opportunity of parenthood are thinking. I'm the mean mom that is fighting my kids to actually sit on the bench through sacrament just waiting for that perfect vision of mine to come true, and in the mean time causing more of a commotion than anything. Then just when I think we're starting to conquer sacrament meeting I am informed that little Mister Mischief has been acting a little "aggressively" in nursery. In lay mans terms: my kid is THAT kid. Who's THAT kids mom?!

There has to be a happy medium between understanding your kids developmental abilities and teaching them appropriate social behavior.

Any words of wisdom? REALLY I want to know!!!

5 comments:

Young Family said...

I'm probably not the best one to ask. I expect Hayden to sit in Sacrament meeting without toys. I think he does a fairly good job, but it is a constant battle. He asks multiple times to go outside. He gets a little loud as he does this and I won't take him because all that would do is reinforce his behavior.

I get so frustrated at others who are constantly trying to play with him while I am trying to get him to be reverent.

One day they will be angels who sit perfectly, right!?

Heather said...

Trust me your family is perfect. Remember my kids are the ones who run up on the stand and wish that they could sit with the Bishopric the whole time.

I would be the ultimate mean mom...I make my kids sit in the car, with me of course and with the car turned on, if they are not going to behave. We actually did that yesterday during Sacrament. I will agree with the young family, it doesn't help when you have people who are trying to "play" with them when you are trying to get them to be reverent.

Oh the joys of parenthood.

Heather said...

By-the-way, love the clip!!! Will have to show it to Jared.

Like sisters musings about life... said...

No words of wisdom. Mostly I read this blog to make sure my kid isn't the only one...or that I'm not the only one still watching Saved by the Bell..I think we just do our best be consistant and pray they turn out right!

Arian said...

Ahhhh, we are in the bitter woes of potty training right this very minute. Are diapers really that bad??? We've had one accident and no potty in the toilet yet. I am already burned out and it has only been three hours. Oh, and yes, Sacrament meeting is the time that both of my boys decide to show the world that THEY are in fact the bosses of the house, not me or Jordan. A little humiliation is good for the soul, right?