Monday, August 4, 2008

Miricles

Did anyone hear about this story?
I don't listen to talk radio very often... actually I dont listen to much radio at all these days since we invested in our killer mini van that has a tv and dvd player in it (yup...I sure do sport a mini van... I get more and more stereotypical every time I write don't I?) . Since then I spend my trips to my exciting destinations such as Walmart either talking to myself or singing along to the Leap Frog Letter Factory (highly reccommend it btw! the movie not talking to yourself...) BUT my husband listens to it [talk radio] every once in a while. Monday morning I was driving him to the airport and we were listening to KSL talk radio. They posed an interesting question that really got me thinking:
"Do you believe in miricles?"
Hmmm... well yes, I've always been taught to believe in miricles. I've gone to church all my life. I've been taught about all the amazing miricles our Savior performed when he walked the earth. I've been taught about the miricles prophets throught the Old Testament and the apostles performed. I've been taught that the Savior lives on today. That His gospel has been restored to this earth. That a prophet of God has once again been called to lead His church. I've also been taught that because of that miricles continue today.
I've been taught all those things. But do I BELIEVE them?
Some would ask how I could possibly believe in them. I didn't get my miricle I asked for almost 6 months ago.
As Brett and I drove to the hospital on February 8 to be induced to deliver the earthly remains of our daughter we talked about how suprisingly at peace we felt about everything that was happening. Just an hour before I had seen the ultrasound devoid of a heart beat. The dr. had showed me the umbilical chord that had no movement of blood going through it. I could feel my body starting to cramp up, rejecting what it knew was not right.
I knew I could not feel my daughter moving.
And yet, as we drove to the hospital, as I waited for 7 hours for her to arrive, even as I could feel her coming... I prayed. I knew what reality was and really I felt at peace with it, but I still had this little ray of hope that somehow, some way I would get a miricle. That Savannah would pop out and scare the poop out of us with a rip roaring cry. "Psych! Here I am." It doesn't make sense, I know that, I KNEW that. But I still prayed that somehow the dr. was wrong and that everything was okay. And that I'd get to take her home with me, and we'd laugh about the silly drs mistake as we told stories about her at her wedding dinner. If Jesus Christ could raise Lazarus from the dead, surely he could give me one little miricle right?
But we didn't get our miricle.
Or did we?
When the Lord says that he wants us to become as a child (Mosiah 3:19) I guess he didn't mean be whiny when we don't get our way.
I've witnessed plenty of miricles in my day. I've seen my dad happen to get checked out on a whim just in time to find 6 blocked arteries and survive a 6 bipass heart surgery. I've seen my father in law feel the need to get checked out by the dr. just in time to save his life from a very serious pulmonary embolism. When Miss Thang was born the nurse told Brett that he couldn't tell him how many still births he'd seen resulting from the kind of tight knot that she had in her chord.
Based on science alone each of the above mentioned people should be dead, and Savannah should be alive. Why do you think that is? My opinion: miricles DO still exist. But they are according to the will and plan on our Father in Heaven that bases those plans around our reaching our ultimate goal of happiness. I believe that we all are individually known to the Lord... although no matter how hard I try I cannot even begin to comprehend it. I also believe that we each have our own roles in the eternal scheme that He has cooked up. The Lord wants to give us what will make us happy, he wants to give us our miricles. But because He wants us to have the ultimate happiness possible He gives us our miricles when they will lead us in that direction.
But I think that that, in and of itself is the biggest miricle of all.
There are a lot of unhappy people in this world resulting from not understanding that.
But what do you think? Do you believe in miricles? Or are there only chances of fate as we plug along on the 3rd rock from the sun?

3 comments:

Desiree Hansen said...

You are the best! Thanks for the new post... you really do amaze me. Miracles do happen - everyday! Love ya.

Young Family said...

I believe in miracles. Like you, even though I didn't get the miracle of taking Scott home with me I am amazed at the miracles that we have since regarding him, ie that we get to bury him 7 months later.

Like sisters musings about life... said...

Absolutely Miracles happen. Sometimes we don't get what we are thinking the miracle is supposed to be, but sometimes miracles happen by the comfort we recieve during things that normally we think we wouldn't be capable of living through. I learned this from a friend that died suddenly in a car accident, she left behind a very young husband, and a 3 month old baby boy....when I recieved the news, my first thought was how her husband and family would get through...And then got to wittness a funeral that was full of funny and happy stories about her and her life, and then her husband testified about the comfort he'd recieved. It was miracle to me. Sorry long response, absolutely I believe in miracles.