Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mister Negotator


"Mommy, come sit with me on the chair." my little boy gives me an irrisistible grin and pats the couch beside him. My heart melts.


I told him an hour ago it was bedtime. He went willingly; jumped on my back and we galloped into his bedroom. He knelt beside his bed and said, "Mommy, I want to say prayers tonight." He thanks Heavenly Father for our blessings, for our family and that mommy is a 'good cooker'. He asks that his Daddy come home safely and closes, 'love thee, in the name of Jesus Christ amen.' My heart is swelling with pride.


"Good night bud, " I start to say.


"Now I want to sing you a song Mommy." and he sings me every song he's ever learned in nursery.


"You are a very good singer bud! Now it's time to go to..."


"Wait mommy, I want to talk to you!"


"What do you want to talk about bud?"


"Hmmmm... lets see... lets talk about the animals at the zoo...."



....starting to see where this is going? But I have to give him points for his negotiating skills. Those will come in handy some day right? If his words aren't always convincing that sly little smile will get me every time!


So he proceeds to tell me all about the zoo: we don't like the snakes, they get you all slimy. Bet you didn't know the monkeys are always mad and will punch you in the face...you do now. 'You dont' need to be scared of the bears mommy, they can't eat you they keep them in bear cages.' and on and on and on. His tale is so entertaining I can't bear to leave him so when he suggests we move our story time to the living room I am sold and I tell him 5 more minute.... what a sucker.


Then, comes his adorable invitation to snuggle with him on the couch as I am closing all the blinds. I smile and make my way over to sit with my favorite little story teller. Oh, how I love this little boy!


"....but you have a big bum mommy, so I'll have to sit on your lap."



....back to bed....


ooooohhhhh sooooo close... and yet so far....

3 comments:

Heather said...

Hilarious!!! He definitely knows how to get out of going to bed...not so good at the staying up really late part though!

Young Family said...

He cracks me up. Hayden is starting to figure out ways to push back bed time. Lately it is that he needs a drink. How do they learn so quickly>

Meili said...

Okay, this made me burst out laughing. Did NOT see that one coming. I'd better not attempt to sit near Hunter right now. He'd be downright terrified of the size of my prego bootie.