Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back to Sponge Bob...


Playgroup Friend M: Mister Mischief said he's going to kill me!

Me: What?!!! [roar]

Okay, now as Little Mister likes to point out, I drop my share of "naughty words" such as stupid (and believe me, he is very quick to point out that we don't say stupid mommy!). And even though he knows we don't say stupid... he drops his share of stupid heads and that's stupid... and we all know he picks this up by listening to what is said around the house (doesn't every mommy use the term stupid head in their everyday conversations?)

However I can pretty much guarantee that I have never threatened to kill anyone... in his presence.... that was a joke... a lame one... but nevertheless a joke...

So where the H (probably shouldn't drop that one around him either...) did he pick up the term: I'm going to kill you?! Where did my sweet little boy learn a phrase that mean something so violent?!

Brace yourself... you're not going to like this...

A few days later I am driving in the car and I plug in the Living Scriptures animated movie, "Nephi and the Brass Plates". Sounds like a good one right? I gaze lovingly at my little cherubs tied down in their car seats, eyes glazed over as they are hypnotized by the animated blessing that is our car tv and think what a good mom I am. I found a way to teach them scripture stories without having to do any of the work...

I am reluctantly awakened from my daydream by, "You better kill him!"

What the....

I listened to the rest of the movie and I bet I heard the word "kill" used about 20 different times!

Needless to say, "Nephi and the Brass Plates" went in the garbage.

The moral of this story is...

Maybe our kids are better off with Sponge Bob... at least he only teaches them to make gross farting noises... they're not going to call the SWAT team on your kid for that...

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Everything could be considered "garbage" if you look at it in those terms. Smoking in Disney movies, Nemo tells his dad "I hate you." and so forth. Maybe the moral is that we need to teach them that in certain things, it's o.k. and not o.k. They even say "Hell" in the scriptures. We know it is the place, but they just hear the words.

Arian said...

Love it! The "classics" are just perfect for our little ones. I've thought about it before that the scriptures are a tad violent if you really think about it. Kind of a TV14 status. :)

Quela said...

Really we should just throw out our tv's all together. But it's just so addicting and makes for a great babysitter sometimes. That dang technology.

Now that Roxy is learning to talk I've started to try and throw all my naughty words to the curb. It's a lot easier said than done. I even just wrote dang. Aww dang, did it again!

Desiree Hansen said...

That is the cutest picture of your little dude. Can you take some pictures of my kids??? Love that you are posting again. I've missed you.